Since inception, Carolina Home Grown has grown to include people representing various facets of food issues throughout the Union County community including, but not limited to, the Department of Social Services, the Union County Health Department, the Union County Public Schools Child Nutrition Department, county and city government, as well as, charitable agencies and local farmers. Our Union County Master Gardeners are intimately involved in helping this project to become a success.
"Carolina Home Grown builds our local food community
through education and advocacy."
Carolina Home Grown - Goals and Objectives:
1. Educate the community about local foods.
2. Support the local Union County Farmers Markets in both the city of Monroe and Waxhaw.
3. Establish a system in which local foods get to the citizens that need them through Government Agencies. (Health Department, Department of Social Services, Farmers, etc.)
4. Highlight and assist with marketing local Community Gardens that can provide food for the community, schools and churches.
5. Encourage more subscriptions to Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) allowing consumers to buy local seasonal food directly from a farmer.
The 10% Campaign encourages consumers to commit 10 percent of their existing food dollars to support local food producers, related businesses and communities.
Allows consumers to find markets sorted by name or by county. North Carolina Farm Fresh is a directory of pick-your-own farms, roadside farm markets, and farmers markets throughout North Carolina.
Allows consumers to find markets, and other local food resources, by entering a city or ZIP code.
Allows consumers to sort by ZIP code or city for sustainable food where you live or as you travel
Helps consumers search for local food resources in North Carolina by name, city or ZIP.
Search for a Union County, NC location for picking your own fruits & vegetables, find local farms and orchards. www.pickyourown.org